Friday, May 6, 2016

Editorial Report A

In this blog post I'm going to compare sections from my rough cut and sections form my final cut. I will explain how the content changed, including form and content.

Rough Cut of Intro:

Hello, everyone. My name is Ben Macklin and this podcast is about my past semester in Sean Bottai's honors english class. Like most students this time of the year, I am reflecting over the past semester and thinking about how I did. While I was doing this I realized some major problems in my writing process. This was no surprise to me. Through this analysis, however, I realized what to watch out for next semester, in order to avoid some of the common pitfalls of writing like procrastinating and writers block.


I am doing a podcast for the last project. Since I'm doing this genre, I knew I needed to keep my intro short and too the point. In this rough draft I tried to get to the point but also provide enough background information. I know I will also have to add some kind of audio clip to keep the audience interested.


Here is the revised version:

Hello, my name is Ben Macklin. Like the many new freshman of 2015 I started college this past year. Specifically, I am finishing an honors English course at the university of Arizona. The course is set up where there are 4 major projects a semester and 1 set of blog posts a week. To be honest I was not expecting to have to adapt too much from my ap classes in highschool. I soon found out that a lot of what I learned from grade school and the habits I formed during this time were not really preparing me for the standards in a higher level education course.

This caused me to evaluate what was working before and how I needed to adapt to succeed in College. So this podcast I want to talk about how the different environments I was in effected my writing process and some of the skills I learned this semester.


I changed how I worded almost everything. Even though this was a content change, I really did it because of form. I kept changing words around until it sounded good when I actually spoke it. I still stuck to the major points of providing background and tried to keep it relatively short. 



You can't hear it but on my actual fine cut I added music that fades in as the intro finishes and then a nice lead in to the rest of the podcast with a short excerpt from the same song. This makes the listener stay engaged and provides a good pause between the intro and body.

No comments:

Post a Comment