Friday, May 6, 2016

Editorial Report B

This is a continuation of Editorial Report A, except with my first body section instead of the intro.

Rough Cut. Section 1: Writing before this semester

Strict rules

Objective all the time

No personal input

Meaningless work

No personal connection to work

All this leads to me making a generic product that'll meet criteria

I never practiced transferring my own thoughts to paper





Revised version:


Certain rules I thought I needed
Throughout grade school, teachers held certain rules and standards that we were supposed to follow. This included always using third person, never dropping register, and following specific formulas for writing essays. This was necessary early on as we had to have some structure for our growing writing skills.

No Freedom
The structures turned into shackles as we progressed through school. My brain solidified the patterns of focusing our efforts on satisfying this mold instead of the content and ideas presented. I think this may come from the misconception that highschoolers cannot have abstract thought or compelling and interesting arguments. Every assignment we did involved reading a novel or excerpt from a popular literary piece. Not to mention it was common to reread certain excerpts and plays. I don’t even know how many times I’ve been forced to read Shakespeare. Besides the few outliers, most kids in my classes, including me, were not interested in reading and analyzing the same content over and over again. Students simply did not want to engage in the material, producing minimal work. I felt no motivation to put in as much effort as I could of. I still got good grades on my writing assignments and was able to get a 4 on the AP test. When I got to college I realized that even though I was getting good grades, I had been forming all the wrong habits while I was in high school


There was a big change in content for this section. I originally wanted to try to just have the talking points and try to do the podcast without reading from a script. I was not satisfied with the quality of this so I defaulted to making a script. This actually helped a lot. I was able to have a lot better flow with my words. 


The biggest change in form for this section was that I have ambient sound in the background to distract from my voice. I adjusted the volume so it is still audible but does not overpower my own audio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment