Sunday, March 27, 2016

Editorial Report

Below are two versions of the same section in my project. The first one is a rough cut where I focused more on content, and the second one is a re-edited version where I focused more on form.


Rough cut section:

Understanding the Genres of Neuroscience: Tips for Beginners


In the competitive community of science and research, it is crucial to understand the platforms and genres in which researchers publish their work. Specifically, in the field of neuroscience. While it would be worth while to familiarize yourself with all the possible genres available, the three most important and widely used genres today are power point presentations and scientific journal publications.



These genres are essential in the advancement of your career. After interviewing Dr. Nighorn and Dr. Tolbert from the University of Arizona Neuroscience and Cognitive Science department, I learned some of the secrets of publication they had been using for decades.



There are two dominating reasons why power point presentations and scientific journals are the most prevalent genres in neuroscience. Thinking about the many years of science carried out before the age of the internet, paper publication was the most effective way for a scientist to share his or her findings. Since we live in a capitalistic society, naturally certain journals gained more popularity and rose to the top.



Re-edited selection:

Understanding the Genres of Neuroscience: Tips for Beginners


In the competitive community of science and research, it is crucial to understand the platforms and genres in which researchers publish their work. Specifically, in the field of neuroscience. While it would be worth while to familiarize yourself with all the possible genres available, the three most important and widely used genres today are power point presentations and scientific journal publications.



               CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75
                                CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 75
Dr. Alan Nighorn from the UA Honors College website               Dr. Leslie Tolbert from her personal page



These genres are essential in the advancement of a neuroscientist’s career. After interviewing veterans Dr. Nighorn and Dr. Tolbert from the University of Arizona Neuroscience and Cognitive Science department, I learned some of the secrets of publication they had been using for decades.


There are two dominating reasons why power point presentations and scientific journals are the most prevalent genres in neuroscience:


1.   Stubborn publication systems


2.   Intimacy in a presentation

The only real content changes I made were very minor. This was something I focused a lot on when I was making my rough cut so I had already edited it a lot to begin with. After breaking up the text and adding pictures, I did change a few sentences around, but nothing too major.

Form was the biggest thing I worked on when revising my rough cut. I needed to add a lot more graphics and appealing text. In my re-edited version, for this section, I added the two pictures of my interviewees and made my "two dominating reason" stand out more with color and size. 

No comments:

Post a Comment